Yesterdays storm on the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. was shocking. I watched a bit on television and more on social media. Nothing added up, and as I watched, The Allegory of the Cave, or Plato’s Cave came to mind.
The Allegory of the Cave is the work of Socrates but presented by the Greek philosopher Plato to the Republic to compare the effect of “education” (think our education system and/or media manipulation) and lack of it on our “nature” (thinking for ourselves, using our intuition). Socrates explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not reality at all. A philosopher aims to understand and perceive the higher levels of reality. However, the other inmates of the cave do not even desire to leave their prison, for they know no better life. The allegory challenges us to have discernment over what we see and what we feel is the truth.
Watch this clip, it is a very good description. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0UFX89YlnQ
I have been inside the Capitol Building. It was the last trip my Dad and I ever took, 8 years ago. Our tour guide that day was a kind gentleman, a retired Senator. He reminded us to behave ourselves as the security in and around the building is one of the most secure in the world. There are snipers on the roof, uniformed security, police, and plain clothes Secret Service everywhere. “Step outside of the boundaries and you are apt to find yourself in a small room with a flashlight in your face”, he said, half jokingly. And this was just on a regular day in D.C., not on one of the most significant and contentious days in US history.
Food for thought:
1. How was it that protesters so easily breached all layers of security? They were even able to get into Nancy Pelosi’s office, her computer was unlocked and accessible and they had time to take a picture.
2. How as it that a news camera (not sure which network) was able to be inside before they arrived?
3. The protesters got by Secret Service agents to get directly behind Pence’s seat in the House and were able to take over the entire Chambers?
4. Someone was shot and died inside the building, the camera catching her dying breaths, and yet Congress was back in session less than 6 hours later. Was a crime scene created, where did the shot come from and why and where was the compassion for her death, you’d think Congress could have waited until today?
5. 12 of 19 Republican Senators , inexplicably changed their minds about the importance of democracy and the need for election transparency. Prior to this they vehemently promised to debate the election results. Strong Churchillian stock these men and women are not.
6. Why were Trump protesters suddenly, a bunch of young men, hardly the demographic we have saw at the numerous Trump rallies this fall?
7. Trump supporters never wear masks or scarves covering their faces, or helmets, or goggles, or backpacks (that is another group’s modus operandi). The gang that made the initial breach came prepared and some others followed.
There will be much more to come, this is far from over and unfortunately things may get worse before they get better. The inauguration isn’t until the 20th. A cleansing of America is being played out and the entire world is watching. The media will be running “with a story” which is easily predictable but we all have a choice to what stories we want to believe for not to use our judgement is to give away our personal power to someone else. This is not about Republican vs Democrat or Trump vs the World; it is about truth.
Discernment is our biggest ally. And in the end we can only hope truth will be revealed, not theatre.
Pray for the people of America as they are so divided.
Yours in love of the great nation of the United States, may there be peace, love and harmony, and may all of us free ourselves from the wall of the cave.
PS: There are a few moderates to follow, one is Tulsi Gabbard (Twitter), a recently retired Democrat Congress woman from Hawaii who ran for the Democratic Presidential nomination but refused to be bought and was buried quickly. She is an amazing voice of reason and would have been the perfect candidate to have been inaugurated as the newest President of the USA. As she said on a talk show, “I check all boxes, minority, woman, veteran, elected to congress, but I’m not part of “the establishment.”